Strategic Goal #2: Commitment to Student Success
Student Success is the core of Eastern Kentucky University’s past, present, and future. It is the success of our students that fuels our passion to serve in the profession of higher education. Students succeed when we devote our energies to continuously improving their experiences in and out of the classroom. We will make data-informed decisions in our ongoing effort to fuel new opportunities for our students.
We will demonstrate our commitment to the success of our students through innovative engagement efforts that begin before arrival and continue after graduation.
We will enrich the lives of our students by intensely focusing on: growing, diversifying, and shaping our student body; building skills for success after graduation; enhancing the quality of student life; and promoting programs and policies that facilitate student success.
Invest in Our Students (2.1)
- Promote and emphasize the use of student learning outcomes, academic support, and retention in co-curricular programming. (2.1.1)
- Create new and support existing programs, activities, and services designed to assist students to adjust to and succeed in a university learning environment and to develop their full potential. (2.1.2)
- Develop and integrate career preparation opportunities to include co-op, internships, international education, civic engagement, and other activities that build the skills necessary to secure gainful employment in a globally competitive marketplace. (2.1.3)
- Develop and implement programming and services to enhance student well-being, health and wellness, civic engagement, and personal growth. (2.1.4)
Focus on Strategic Enrollment (2.2)
- Develop a University-wide, inclusive strategic enrollment process ensuring partnership between Enrollment Management and Academic Affairs. (2.2.1)
- Create a strategic enrollment plan with specific, but not exclusive, focus on enhancing our commitment to our Region, increasing educational opportunities for under-represented student populations, and serving students with diverse academic needs. (2.2.2)
- Recruit a prepared, intellectually curious, diversified student body. (2.2.3)
- Recruit increased numbers of international students. (2.2.4)
- Ensure University resources, including student financial aid, are sufficient to support the enrollment management plan. (2.2.5)
Increase Efforts to Retain and Graduate Students (2.3)
- Develop and promote University-wide best practices that provide collaborative and innovative student engagement in and out of the classroom. (2.3.1)
- Employ coordinated, data-driven advising that uses intentional intervention milestones for designated populations and strengthens academic advising. (2.3.2)
- Provide increased support for programs that address student preparedness challenges. (2.3.3)
- Enhance student experiences University-wide by enhancing academic learning environments and increasing participation in living/learning communities, student organizations, and student-life programs. (2.3.4)
- Create and upgrade existing facilities, including student recreation and intercollegiate athletics facilities. (2.3.5)
- Review policies, processes, and operations to enhance responsiveness to student needs. (2.3.6)