Strategic Goal #6: Service to Communities and Region
At Eastern Kentucky University, we will create a culture of outreach and engagement through innovative teaching and scholarship, as well as valuing engagement with our communities and regional partners. By applying our academic and professional expertise to collaborations with community stakeholders, we will improve the quality of life for the communities we serve.
We will demonstrate our commitment to our communities and Region by actively seeking out those strategic opportunities that will provide direct benefits to the people of Eastern Kentucky.
Engagement in our Region allows us to use our skills and resources in collaboration with the community to benefit both the university and our community partners. Our outreach and engagement through enhanced communication and deeper relationships will promote an improved quality of life for all community members. EKU’s commitment to enhancing our efforts to promote sustainable and measurable leadership and service to our communities and Region will be positively recognized on a national level.
Become the 1st Choice Partner in Regional Educational, Economic, Cultural, and Social Development (6.1)
- Increase the number of and strengthen existing strategic partnerships in our Region with community colleges, local communities, employers, and other entities. (6.1.1)
- Enhance support of our Region’s P-12 educational institutions for college success of students. (6.1.2)
- Advance EKU leadership participation in regional partnerships. (6.1.3)
Become Nationally Prominent in Fields with Regional Relevance (6.2)
- Bring distinction to our Region with nationally recognized programs, endorsements, and scholarship/research. (6.2.1)
- Build sustainable and distinct academic and social programs focused on our Region’s critical needs. (6.2.2)
Bring EKU to Our Service Region (6.3)
- Support EKU faculty, staff, and student engagement in regional initiatives. (6.3.1)
- Actively promote and publicize public engagement activities to students, faculty, staff, and the community. (6.3.2)
- Address needs, challenges, and perspectives of our Region with innovative courses, research, service, and program offerings utilizing effective delivery methods. (6.3.3)
- Provide high-quality, responsive, and relevant programming for adults in our Region to help them complete degrees. (6.3.4)
- Support students throughout our Region by making programs and services available locally at regional sites, on-line, and/or via a combination of delivery methods. (6.3.5)
- Raise the knowledge capital in our Region by encouraging EKU students to remain active in or connected to our Region. (6.3.6)
Bring Our Service Region to EKU (6.4)
- Enhance and develop University facilities that draw visitors to EKU Campuses. (6.4.1)
- Increase the number and appeal of programs and activities for which visitors travel to EKU Campuses, such as sporting and arts events, conferences and workshops, commencement ceremonies, and annual University events. (6.4.2)